Complete MAME cabinet

Ta-da!

While I was away in New York, my husband had to keep himself busy somehow.  So, he did exactly what I would have done and put together an overly ambitious list of project and things to do 😀  Upon hearing all of his plans, I really hoped that he would just focus on the little finishing touches with the arcade cabinet and I am quite happy to say that this is exactly what he did (well, there were a few other things that he did, because he’s awesome, but this was the main one.)

Among the finishing touches, you can see that there is now a marquee across the top.  Our good friend “the Nighthawk” came over to help him out with the wiring for it, so that it lights up.  There’s a little switch so we can turn the lights on and off.

He has plans to redo the marquee as one solid sheet of paper from a printing company down the road.  For now, it’s several overlapping images that shows when the light shines behind it, but it still looks cool!

He also had the chance to spray paint the logo on the sides.

He set up a spray booth and cut out the stencil by hand.  It was a lot of work, but totally worth it!  Have I mentioned yet that L designed all the graphics himself?  I think it looks really cool!

Of course, now he has plans for more touches being sprayed on, upgrades, and future cabinets.  I can never be certain if he’s serious or not, but so far he’s mentioned a series of networked racing games (the ones where you sit right in them and play a car race game) and skee ball (especially after our recent trip to Castle Fun Park).

Advertisements

Arcade Kitchen Update

Admin bar & speakers

  As you can see, the arcade cabinet has been coming along nicely.  It is now in the kitchen and almost functioning.  We moved it up just after we had people over.  Luckily, it was not as heavy as I had feared it might be.  The top part comes off and then it can be moved in two main pieces, with the control box, monitor, etc. being moved separately.  The bottom portion is a complete square and quite easy to handle.  The upper portion is a bit more finicky for where you can hold it, but has several convenient hand holds.  L and I managed to get it up the stairs and into the kitchen without too much trouble at all.

I’m loving the side decoration!  We still need to stencil some graphics on.  We’ll see how that goes, since I’m sure we’ll need several coats of paint to cover the gold and black.

CP top (2)I think the control panel top looks awesome!  L designed the graphic himself and had it printed out at a local print shop.  Then holes had to be drilled in sheet of lexan to cover it up and protect it.

CP top open (3)Now all of those computery bits have to be connected up to the computer that is sitting in the bottom of the cabinet.  L made some progress on it today while I was studying.  Once those bits are hooked up, it’s basically functional, but not finished.  Here’s what we will still have to do after the electronics get wired:

  • Create a stencil for the side art and actually stencil it all in.  We have the graphic, but will need to print it out, cut it out, buy paint, etc.
  • Create a bezel.  This will prevent you from actually seeing inside the cabinet on top.  L has some ideas and it looks like we’ll be doing a wooden one and painting it instead of using poster paper.
  • Create a marquee across the top.  We’ve tossed some ideas around for how it will look, but I’m not sure if anything has been decided.
  • Get a splitter for the speakers so they will all have sound or upgrade the sound card in the computer.
  • Get a stool to sit on while we play.  Actually, we’ll probably need two or so.

More Arcade Cabinet Pictures

We made a lot of progress on the arcade cabinet this weekend.  In fact, we did so much work, that the cabinet is now in our garage downstairs!

Here’s the bottom of the cabinet with one coat of the textured spray paint on it.  It is only partially dried here and you can see where we puttied over the screws.First coat lower cab (2)

The top part of the cabinet is designed to look like sheets of metal have been riveted on to a frame.  So, we painted black lines and then masking tapes the parts we weren’t going to cover up with the hammered gold paint.

Painting it gold (2)

 

And here it is with the gold paint on it.  It looks even better in person.  You can see where the screws were puttied over, but we’re going to put some sort of decorative rivet in those spots so it’ll look like metal has been riveted together.

Painting it gold (4)

And now we’re back to the waiting game.  We need to order quick disconnects to do the wiring.  These are apparently ridiculously expensive to buy right away or very cheap and hard to find in stock or nearby.  We also need to create stencils for the side art, get the control panel image printed somewhere professionally, and we’re waiting for samples of t-molding to put on the edges of everything so that it holds up to the wear and tear a bit better.  But, at least it’s home now!